“I’ve lovingly referred to it as a smoothie for the skin. A rich, buttery balm that comes to life with a little water to highlight a plethora of antioxidants and minerals to replenish lackluster skin.”
– Carolyn McRory, Live Botanical founder
EXPERT TIPS FROM THE FOUNDER:
Quick Morning Routine:
- Take a small scoop in your palm and sprinkle in a few drops of water to activate..
- Mix to create a lotion-like cream then apply to the face and neck (skin should be makeup-free).
- Leave on for about 10 minutes before heading into the shower then allowing the steam to mingle with the oils, adding a surge of moisture – plus protecting against the heat of the shower which can dry out the skin.
- To remove, massage while rinsing away the fine particles which provide a light exfoliating cleanser.
- EXPERT TIP! Mist to keep mask activated during your treatment to assist with nutrient absorption.
- Mix a rounded spoonful of balm with a level spoonful of water together to create a thick cream.
- With a brush, apply a thick layer on the face to the top of the neck.
- Relax for a full 30 minutes to really help bring on circulation, improve hydration, rebalance minerals to strengthen the acid mantel and scavenge free radicals environmental pollutants.
- To remove, use a wet tepid cloth to gently remove the particles while leaving some of the oil intact on the skin.
- Follow up with a rich oil or balm to help seal in the moisture to help mend dry, reactive skin.
- EXPERT TIP! Store the balm in the fridge when wanting to de-puff the skin and create a cooling experience to calm reactive skin.
CUPUACU BUTTER deeply moisturizes with its ability to hold 400% of its weight in water and provides a skin-friendly barrier to prevent water loss
Nutrient-dense, cold-pressed CRANBERRY, RASPBERRY and PUMPKIN SEED OILS provide vitamins of A & E, carotenoids and high linoleic fatty acids to help reduce inflammation and promote rejuvenation.
PLANTAIN, BEE BALM and SELF-HEAL stimulate skin cell generation to firm the skin and reduce scars while strengthening the skin against UV and pollution damage
Maximum potency PUMPKIN SEED POWDER is rich in antioxidants, amino acids, omega-6, omega-3 fatty acids, and minerals to address inflammation
OATMEAL and SNOW MUSHROOM contain powerful polysaccharides for deep skin hydration which help deliver powerful compounds present in the mask
Q + A with Carolyn McRory, Founder of Live Botanical
What inspired the product/ingredients? The major focus for Live Botanical in 2019 was celebrating and expanding our love of local, beautiful ingredients – that are not only sustainable farmed and sourced but are nutrient superfoods in our own backyard. One of my all-time favorite ingredients is pumpkin seed oil and our supplier grows and presses the most amazing version I’ve come across in the 4+ years running LB. They also have equally incredible raw, organic pumpkin seed powder. Providing both the water & oil-soluble vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the entire seed. From the farm into the waters, local food-grade blue-green algae is one of the most nutrient-dense foods available with B vitamins, beta-carotene, and iron, as well as biologically active enzymes, chlorophyll, fatty acids, and peptides to hydrate, protect and boost skin cell turnover. Followed by a uniquely sourced clay near Crater Lake, one of Oregon’s most celebrated natural wonders. To help absorb impurities from the skin and provide gentle refinement. Oatmeal using artisan milling practices for powder-soft texture is one of the best emollient plants to soothe dry skin and bind moisture. Pacific Northwest grown fruit seed oils are used to extract skin rejuvenating properties from herbs like plantain, monarda (wild bergamot) and self-heal, all grown in our micro-garden.
How long has it been part of the line? It was released in October 2019 along with our brand refresh.
Can you give us some insight on the ingredient formulation process? At the time of development, we only had our Glowing Honey Mask. Over the years’ customers requested more options and I was up to the task to create something unique, multifunctional and enjoyable to use. I had been experimenting with emulsification systems for quite a while – searching for a lipid barrier protective combination that could stabilize a blend of water and oils. In this process, I had developed a way to amalgamate specific ingredients to create a short term emulsion that was different than a cleansing oil or balm – which lent itself to a balm-to-cream formula that not only moisturizes but helps the absorption of active ingredients. The mask evolved into adding water-activated ingredients to take advantage of water-soluble compounds that are most potent when freshly infused. I’ve lovingly referred to it as a smoothie for the skin. A rich buttery balm that comes to life with a little water to highlight a plethora of antioxidants and minerals to replenish lackluster skin. Giving a moisturized glow that immediately plumps the skin and helps strengthen the lipid barrier over time with continued use.
What is the star ingredient in the product and why? I wouldn’t say there is a star ingredient as they really are designed to work harmoniously. I believe the specific combination of ingredients including lecithin which helps blend the balm with water effortlessly is where this balm goes from something simple to an effective. A formula that improves absorption and increases bio-availability to get the most out of a bountiful harvest expressed in the overall ingredient deck.